1st Annual Duke Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes Symposium
SCD in athletes is a devastating event not only for the athletes themselves, their teammates, and their families, but also for the community at large. As participation in sports and exercise rapidly grows in all US demographics, clinicians need to be able to integrate evidence-based care into the evaluation and treatment of athletes that will ultimately help minimize the risks of SCD in the athletic population. In addition, effective training in and implementation of rapid resuscitation strategies—such as the use of automated external defibrillators—may help avert some SCD tragedies. The symposium will focus on educating clinicians and the athletic community about these important topics in SCD. Click to download program agenda.
REGISTRATION AND FEE INFORMATION:
- For MD : $80
- For Non-MD : $40 [including residents]
INSTRUCTIONS: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
To register for 1st Annual Duke Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes Symposium you must set up a profile with a valid ID/Password on the Duke CME Portal.
If you do NOT have a profile for the Duke CME Portal.
- You will need to register with Duke CME Portal and establish an ID/password. This link will open in a separate browser window. Note that fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
- To confirm your registration the Duke CME Portal will send a confirmation notice to your email address. Open this email message and click on the confirmation link.
- The confirmation link will return you to the Duke CME Portal where you may enter and confirm a password for that system. At this point you may close the Duke CME Portal browser window(s).
- Keep a record of the ID/password. If you register for CME credit you will need to complete the certification process using the Duke CME Portal.
- Now that you have a ID/Password for the Duke CME Portal (note that the registration/confirmation process does not log you in to the system), you may proceed to the following step.
If you already have a profile for the Duke CME EthosCE system:
- Login to the Duke CME EthosCE system. This link will open in a separate browser window. Once you have logged in, click "Add to Cart" and make payment to complete registration. Pricing for MD and Non MD will be automatically applied to the cart, based off your profile data.
All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing via email (email@example.com) or by fax (1-919-681-7446; attn: Christy Darnell). Registration cancellations received on or before March 28 will be fully refunded minus a processing fee of 5 percent. Cancellation requests submitted between March 29 – April 8 will receive a 50 percent refund minus a processing fee of 5 percent. Cancellation requests received on or after April 8 will not be refunded. In the event that the program is cancelled or postponed, we will not be responsible for any travel costs or expenses, including cancellation/change penalties assessed by airlines, travel agencies, or hotels.
- Review and discuss the risks of SCD in athletes and contrast these risks with the health benefits of exercise.
- Identify the cardiovascular diseases that pose the greatest risk for SCD in athletes.
- Apply evidence- and consensus-based screening strategies for cardiovascular disease in athletes, and understand the pros and cons of including electrocardiogram testing in screening algorithms.
- Review and discuss how to evaluate and manage athletes who present with cardiovascular symptoms.
- Recognize the unique characteristics of an athlete’s heart, select the most appropriate cardiovascular testing strategy for athletes with cardiovascular symptoms or disease, and effectively interpret the test results.
- Select and interpret the most appropriate exercise-testing protocol for evaluating athletes with cardiovascular symptoms or disease.
- Explain and provide exercise prescription to minimize risks for SCD.
- Describe basic life support, and engage in community-wide efforts to educate and train the public on rapid response, resuscitation strategies, and the use of automatic external defibrillators.
TO COMPLETE ALL COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND CLAIM CREDITS:
- Complete the post-test.
- Complete the course evaluation.
- Attest to your hours of completion.
- Download your certificate.
- 7.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 7.50 Attendance