BEYOND LECTURING: INCREASING ENGAGEMENT, RECALL, AND SUCCESS
How often have you had to endure presentations that left you making a to-do list in your head? If you can’t pay attention to the presentation, you can’t retain the information. What would have made those presentations—what would make your classes and lessons—memorable, influential, and successful? This workshop will show you how structure your lessons and classes, so that they are more memorable for your students. You will rethink how you have been planning classes and walk away with a step-by-step plan for creating impactful presentations. We’ll discuss what we know about presenting in-person and virtually, what has been shown to be effective “in” the classroom based on recent COVID research, and some tips to make lessons more engaging in-person or virtually. Come to this session and leave with the expertise to plan your next presentation and never fall into the same pitfalls most presenters do ever again.
- Allied Health
- Discover how to cater to your students’ working memory using schemas and chunking.
- Learn how cognitive overload is rampant in lectures and how to prevent it.
- Find out about the dual coding theory and the multimedia effect and how to use that to your advantage.
- Hear why stories are so influential and persuasive and how you can use the science of storytelling to ensure your students recall your lecture materials.
- Learn how to apply learning theory to your classes to help your students recall the content.
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)
- IACET CEU
- JA Credit - AH
- 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.75 ANCC
- 1.75 Attendance
- 0.18 IACET CEU
- 1.75 JA Credit - AH