Safe Opioids Prescribing
This online module provides interactive content to instruct clinicians in use of best practices for prescribing opioids in an effort to address the opioid crisis. national and state guidelines from the CDC and other agencies are detailed and applied in a variety of patient contexts. Case studies are included for practical application of best practice.
Clinicians with prescribing authority - MD, PA, NP, and students in these programs Also relevant to personnel who work in settings where controlled substances are used in pain management
At the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Describe the extent of the opioid epidemic in our state and nationally
- Utilize best practices in evaluating patients for opioid therapy
- Implement risk assessment, patient education, goal setting, and CDC-recommended best practices
- Utilize tools including the PEG Score and Opioid Risk Tool
- Use a risk/benefit framework in evaluating ongoing therapy
- Recognize indications for naloxone co-prescribing
- Incorporate best practices into clinical care
- Understand current and future North Carolina laws around opioid safety
- Find and utilize freely available opioid safety resources in our state.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 ANCC
- 1.00 Attendance