TBI Clinical Recommendation: Management of Sleep Disturbance Following Concussion/Mild TBI for Primary Care Providers
Date/Time: On Demand, September 8-30, 2014
This presentation discusses the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center’s Clinical Recommendations for the Management of Sleep Disturbance Following Concussion/Mild Traumatic Brain Injury for Primary Care Providers. Specifically, this presentation reviews four common sleep disturbances following concussion (acute insomnia, chronic insomnia, circadian rhythm sleep disorders and obstructive sleep apnea), methods for differential diagnosis, pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments, and specific guidance for managing sleep disturbance in theater.
Target Audience: This program will be beneficial to mental health practitioners including psychologists, social workers, counselors, substance abuse professionals, case managers, clinicians and therapists. Any other mental health professionals are invited to attend.
1.00 contact hours. (Includes Social Work hours) NC AHEC is a 2014 NASW-NC approved provider of distance continuing education. This program has been approved for 1.00 contact hours. CEUs will be awarded to participants who attend 100% of this program. This program will provide 1.00 contact hours (category A) continuing education credit to NC Psychologists.
- Identify focused screening and evaluation methods for common sleep disturbance after mild traumatic brain injury, including insomnia, circadian rhythm sleep disorders and obstructive sleep apnea
- Recognize treatments for insomnia, circadian rhythm sleep disorders and obstructive sleep apnea
- Understand evaluation and treatment guidelines for sleep disturbance in theater
Therese West, DNP, APRN, FNP-C, CPN-BC
Senior Clinical Advisor, Office of Clinical Affairs
Contract Support to Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
Silver Spring, Md.
HOW TO SET UP YOUR PROFILE IN ETHOS
(NEW USERS ONLY):
- You are required to set up your profile in EthosCE to receive credit after attending an event. Click on the following link, http://continuingeducation.dcri.duke.edu/ then select Join in the upper right hand corner of the Home Page. For further instructions please click on the following link to our quick reference card.
- The Duke CE Portal will send a confirmation notice to your email address. Open this email message and click on the link in the email to confirm your profile set up.
- The confirmation link will take you back to the Duke CE Portal where you will enter and confirm the password that you set up.
- Once you enter the password, scroll to the top of the page to see the "GREEN BANNER" that reads "The changes have been saved"
- Keep a record of the ID/password. If you register for CME credit you will need to complete the certification process using the Duke CME Portal.
TO COMPLETE ALL COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND CLAIM CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS:
- Complete the course evaluation.
- Attest to your hours of completion.
- Download your certificate.
Continuing education credit is available from Duke Medicine for this On Demand session.
To receive credit, you must register no later than 6 p.m. (EDT) 26 September 2014 AND complete the course and evaluation no later than 11:59 p.m. (EDT) 26 September 2014.
Session registration opens 8 September 2014. The evaluation site opens at 8 a.m. (EDT) 8 September 2014 and closes at 11:59 p.m. (EDT) 26 September 2014.
DCoE's awarding of continuing education credit is limited in scope to health care providers who actively provide psychological health and traumatic brain injury care to U.S. active-duty service members, reservists, National Guardsmen, military veterans and/or their families.
To qualify for receipt of continuing education credit for this course, eligible participants must create a profile in the Duke Medicine Learning Management System and register for the event on, or before, the event registration deadline. Complete responses to all pre-registration questions are required to be eligible to receive credit for attending this event. For guidance on creating a user account and event registration in the Duke Medicine Learning Management System site, please visit https://www.dcri.org/cee/education/ethosce-learning-center/EthosCE_Fundamentals.pdf
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 ANCC
- 1.00 Attendance
- 1.00 APA Credit
- 0.10 CEU
- 1.00 NASW credits
- 1.00 NBCC